Restaurant in Stornoway
The Boatshed at the Royal Hotel
The best of fresh produce, prepared and creatively presented in the Boatshed Restaurant in Stornoway.
The Boatshed has enjoyed a great reputation for many years and is one of the most popular restaurants in Stornoway for local residents, as well as visiting guests. The cuisine draws on traditional Scottish dishes, adding influences from around the world, including eastern continents and Oceania.
Great emphasis is placed on using the best fresh local produce available. Meat from traditional local butchers includes Lewis lamb, raised naturally on island crofts, while venison comes from local hunting estates. Fish and shellfish from the seas around the Outer Hebridean islands is landed within sight of the hotel. Local scallops are hand-dived and langoustines caught in creels – kinder than trawling and, we believe, providing a better taste.
Of course, providing cuisine of this quality means that we’re not offering the lowest prices in town, but most of our guests agree that dining at the Boatshed represents good value locally – and local residents keep returning for more.
The menu changes often, reflecting the seasons and the availability of produce, with every dish promising a special dining pleasure. For example, when a local fishing boat lands a monkfish, that might well appear on the evening’s special menu.
If you’re prepared to order dinner between 5pm and 6.30pm, you can enjoy two or three courses from a regularly changing table d’hôte menu at special value prices, just £19 and £23 respectively. There’s plenty of choice and you’ll eat dishes prepared to the same high-standards as our à la carte menu – though you couldn’t reasonably expect to find our most expensive dishes on this menu.
Head Chef – Dahi – and his team
Originally from Nepal, head chef, Dahi, has been with us for a good number of years. Prior to joining the Cala Hotels team, Dahi learned and perfected his craft on cruise ships, in some of the prestigious international luxury hotels of Dubai and in fine dining establishments in Sydney, Australia,
He and his team share the variety of their experience with us, so that we can relish the artistic presentation and great tastes of the world.
From a TripAdvisor member: “The menu was superb and so was the food and wine. The waiter and waitresses were very attentive, efficient and friendly – just the kind I like. We had a great evening.”
Parties of at least 10 guests are welcome to book a private lunch party ‘away from the madding crowd’ – with a range of menus for you to choose from starting at just £15.00.
- Know what you’re spending before your guests arrive with pre-agreed menu choices at a fixed price, so you know you’ll stay in budget.
- Your lunch can be served within an agreed time scale – be back to your work or meeting on time.
- Discuss business or personal matters without being disturbed by others (or being concerned about others enjoying your conversation).
- For more information, please call 01851 702109.
Restaurant opening times
- Breakfast : 7.30 – 9.30 am, Monday – Saturday (Sunday 8.00 – 10.00am).
- Lunch: Private dining only – minimum party size 10 guests.
- ‘Early bird’ dinner: Monday – Saturday 5.00 – 6.30 pm.
2 courses £19.00
3 courses £23.00
- A la carte dinner: Monday – Saturday 6.30 – 9.00 pm.
A typical 3-course selection will cost around £30 – £35
- Sundays: Closed (HS-1 Cafe Bar in The Royal Hotel is open 7 days a week).
- Special occasions: Opening hours and menu availability may vary from time to time, coinciding with occasions such as the pre-Christmas period and the Hebridean Celtic Festival.
Please note that opening times and prices may change from time to time without prior notice – correct at 1st February 2016. E&OE.
Reservations always advisable.
The menus below, linked to view and/or download, are in PDF format and will open in a new window from issuu.com. Please note that these are “typical example” documents . In other words, they are provided as a guide only and the dishes and/or prices on them may vary a little from what is actually available at any one time.